Home / Sports / Govt on netball WC preps

Govt on netball WC preps

GOVERNMENT, through the Sports Commission, yesterday said preparations for the historic participation of Zimbabwe at the Netball World Cup are at an advanced stage.

Treasury has already paid for the team’s accommodation in Liverpool, England.

The accommodation has been paid for within the required time-line.

The 2019 Netball World Cup is scheduled to run from July 12 to 21 and the Government has been closely working with the Zimbabwe Netball Association in making sure the journey to Liverpool will be smooth.

The visas are expected to be sorted out soon after the association received all the supporting documents from the international federation.

A fund-raising committee, which is working with the local netball association, also revealed at a media briefing in Harare yesterday that they have so far raised about $300 000.

They said they will next week hold a high-profile fund-raising dinner which is expected to be graced by First Lady Auxillia Mnangagwa.

Sports Commission director-general, Prince Mupazviriho, in the company of ZINA president Letticia Chipandu, the fundraising committee, the technical team as well as the Gems captain Perpetua Siyachitema, held a press briefing.

“The Sports Commission has been working closely with the netball association quietly because it was more to do with the preparations where we need to make sure that all the necessary issues, which would make our participation at the World Cup successful, are taken care of,’’ said Mupazviriho.

He revealed the Government were footing the bills for all the friendly matches the Gems are playing.

The team is expected to leave today for South Africa for an inter-provincial netball tournament.

They will complete their preparations with another match against Zambia.

Source :

The Herald

Check Also

The extraordinary story of Zim’s netball minnows

LIVERPOOL — A few hours before his side claimed an unlikely third World Cup victory …

error: Content is protected !!