By Walter Mswazie
Another suspected case of cholera has been reported in Masvingo bringing to two the number of patients who have been quarantined because of the water borne disease at Masvingo Provincial Hospital since the beginning of this month.
The disease, which broke out in Harare at the beginning of the month has claimed at least 30 lives so far.
Authorities at Masvingo General Hospital on Monday said one male adult from Harare’s Glen View suburb who was going to South Africa when he fell sick during a stop-over here to visit a relative in Rhodene suburb last Saturday.
They said the man showed signs of cholera and was rushed to Masvingo General Hospital where he is receiving treatment under quarantine.
Provincial medical director Dr Amadeaus Shamu yesterday confirmed the incident and said the case could have been imported from Harare.
“I can confirm that we received one case of suspected cholera. The victim is receiving treatment at Masvingo General Hospital and was coming from Harare’s Glen View suburb on his way to South Africa,” said Dr Shamu.
Dr Shamu said Masvingo had not yet recorded any case of cholera or typhoid save for the two imported cases, one which was fatal.
“There are no reported cases of cholera or typhoid in Masvingo province so far apart from the two, which were imported from Harare.
“The first one was unfortunate because the patient eventually succumbed to the disease while the other one is still under quarantine in hospital,” he said.
In Bulawayo, 10 suspected cholera cases have since been reported with most of them believed to have originated from Harare.