By Eddie Chikamhi
Normalcy has returned to the Dynamos camp after the senior players that have been on industrial action got their dues yesterday and agreed to resume training.
The Glamour Boys’ key players have refused to train for close to 10 days demanding to be paid what they were owed by the club dating back to last season.
And after a week of tensions, some good news filtered into their camp after the club’s executive and the senior players, who also boycotted the Commander ZNA Charities semi-final match against bitter rivals CAPS United last Sunday, managed to resolve their differences.
DeMbare president Kenny Mubaiwa said they managed to secure the funds to pay off the arrears and are now looking forward to players resuming training today.
“We met today (yesterday) and resolved to fix all our problems amicably. It was unfortunate things got to that extent, but we told the players that next time we have to seek better ways of solving our in-house problems without creating such hostilities.
“Everyone in the team knows our situation. I think we also tried to explain the circumstances why the players did not get the exact amounts they had expected after part of their salaries, which they received this month, were wiped off by taxes. It’s a legal requirement which we have to comply with.
“But the most important thing is we have managed to give them all the money that they have been demanding and we are now back to serious business,” said Mubaiwa.
Key players such as skipper Ocean Mushure, Obey Mwerahari, Quality Kangadze, Emmanuel Mandiranga, and Gift Saunyama have been conspicuous by their absence.
New acquisitions Raphael Manuvire, Jimmy Tigere and Marvellous Mukumba had also not been available for use by coach Lloyd Mutasa. The players had refused to accept promises, insisting the club should first pay up the remainder of their salaries and winning bonuses owing from last season.
The aggrieved players have been reporting for duty at the club’s training ground every day, but they insisted they will not train until their demands were met.
Mubaiwa said the strike was disruptive and had threatened disciplinary action after the senior players boycotted the ZNA Charities semi-final clash against bitter rivals CAPS United last weekend.
Coach Mutasa was forced to field a youthful side made up of rookies, the majority of whom the team’s supporters could hardly recognise.
DeMbare still won the match 1-0 to book a Battle of Zimbabwe date with old enemies Highlanders at the National Sports Stadium this Sunday. Bosso overcame Chicken Inn 2-1 in the other semi-final.
“Our core business is football and we don’t want things that disrupt normal activities at the club. If you look at our team, we had started the pre-season well. The coach has been doing well blending youth and experience and I am happy the youngsters have also been stepping up,” said Mubaiwa.
“The good thing is that we haven’t abandoned our junior development, which is currently being overseen by Murape Murape and Lloyd Chigowe. So it only means we have depth.
“We still look ahead with confidence. Last year we finished second in the race and it is only normal that we aim to surpass that. We have to go back to the Champions League, it’s been quite some time now,” said Mubaiwa.