ORGANISERS of the Mr Ugly Pageant say they are confident this year’s edition of the contest will go ahead following the decision by several corporates to bankroll the controversial pageant, NewsDay has learnt.
BY JAIROS SAUNYAMA
Founder of the pageant, David “Apama” Machowa, yesterday said Lifestyle Centre Furnitures, Devine Assignments, Club Verve, Club Joy, Prime Night Club and Coin Security had committed their support to the pageant, whose finals are now scheduled for November 25 in Harare.
The pageant had recently struggled to pool resources together, forcing Machowa to fork out his own money to fund the final competitions.
“Mr Ugly pageant is on. The sponsors are there. We have active sponsors, who have come on board. As we speak, this weekend, we will be in Glen Norah for some competitions. Harare is big and has a lot of people, hence we are having contests in a number of suburbs. Last month, we were in Chiredzi and we now have a representative from Masvingo province,” Machowa said.
He said the reigning champion, Mison Sere, will also take part in the preliminary round competitions in Ruwa.
The Mr Ugly pageant was popularised in 2012 after Epworth-based William Masvinu took over from Brian Mateyazondo.
Masvinu, a porter at Mbare Musika in Harare, retained the title the following year.
In 2014, the pageant took a sabbatical due to funds.