#SouthAfrica Sushi King Kenny Kunene visits #Zimbabwe Businessman Phillip Chiyangwa in hospital

South Africa Sushi King Kenny Kunene visits #Zimbabwe Businessman Phillip Chiyangwa in hospital


FLAMBOYANT business tycoon, Philip Chiyangwa was injured early yesterday morning after a fire razed down part of his Borrowdale mansion in Harare, causing extensive damage to a number of rooms, including his master bedroom.

City of Harare fire brigade attends to Phillip Chiyangwa (inset) house which was gutted by fire in Borrowdale, Harare yesterday. Picture right: Chiyangwa’s son Bruce, assesses the damage

The fire was reportedly sparked by an electrical fault. When our Harare Bureau visited the sprawling mansion popularly known as the “White House” yesterday, Chiyangwa was leaving in a sleek Mercedes Benz heading for a private city hospital to seek treatment.

Chiyangwa’s son Bruce, who looked shell-shocked and failing to come to terms with the extent of the damage to the house, said they were not suspecting foul play.

He said his father was the only one injured after he got cut on the leg by broken glass.

Domestic workers who witnessed the incident said the fire started in Chiyangwa’s bedroom and quickly spread to other rooms.

“I was the first to notice the fire when I was by the gate after which I alerted others,” said a security guard at one of the gates to the expansive mansion.

They said although Chiyangwa was not at the property when the fire broke out, he stumbled on broken glass as he tried to get into his bedroom, which was covered in thick smoke, to salvage important documents.

Calls to Chiyangwa’s mobile phone were picked by a Stewart Ajisa, who said property worth thousands of dollars was damaged in the inferno.

“The fire was caused by an electrical fault and property worth a lot of money was destroyed,” Ajisa said.

“We’re not suspecting any foul play,” he said.

Charred curtains, shattered glasses, broken chandeliers and burnt out furniture could be seen strewn all over the area, after the fire brigade had managed to put out the fire.

An officer with the City of Harare fire brigade, assistant divisional officer Herbert Chipidza, said they swiftly responded to a call and managed to douse the flames within a short period.

“According to our assessments, although it’s not clear what could have caused the fire, we suspect an electrical fault,” said Chipidza.

“The rooms were blocked in smoke when we arrived, but we managed to put out the fire in about three to five minutes,” he said.

By the time the fire brigade arrived, workers had put up ladders in an effort to extinguish the fire in the upper rooms of the double-storey mansion.

The workers said they were, however, overwhelmed by the inferno, which resulted in considerable damage to the main bedroom, kitchen, lounge and a downstairs office. The Herald


Check Also

Zimbabwe: Young Women Rallied to Participate in Economy

By Rumbidzayi Zinyuke First Lady Amai Auxillia Mnangagwa has challenged young women to actively participate …

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This function has been disabled for Zimbabwe Today.