William Masvinu lost his Mr Ugly title at a tight contest held at the City Sports Bar in Harare on Friday, which saw newcomer Miso Sere, crowned the 2015 ugliest person in Zimbabwe.
The Mabvuku-based 38-year-old Sere, shrugged off stiff competition from eight other contestants, including Masvinu, a two-time winner.
For being the most “aesthetically challenged” man on local soil, Sere walked away with $500 prize money plus a ticket to the Mr Ugly World 2017.
Masvinu, who came second, walked away with $100 while third-placed Givemore “Gidza” Sambana won $50.
Speaking after clinching the title, Sere said: “I am happy to be the winner, it was a tough contest but my looks led me to the top spot.”
According to the organiser, David Machowa, popularly known in showbiz as Apama, 12 contestants were initially billed to battle it in the finals but four of them chickened out at the last minute.
The 2015 edition recorded the largest number of contestants as 36 men all wanted to participate in the competition.
However, a semi-final event was held to trim the finalists to 12.
Machowa said the contest was successful and recorded a huge turnout.
“It is developing and growing, people are following the contest,” he said.
“The former winner Masvinu had become stubborn by retaining the title but he found his match. The judges were fair,” said Machowa.
Masvinu, a porter from Epworth, won the 2012 event and popularised the contest that even drew the attention of the international showbiz and media world.
The contest has become a popular event in the country despite lack of sponsorship which had seen winners walking away with just a few dollars.
The contest was founded by Apama in 2011. The first winner was Brian Mateyazondo who won $50 as prize money.
In 2012 it was won by Masvinu, who walked away with $100 prize money before retaining the title again in 2013.
Last year the competition failed to take off due to lack of sponsorship.
Local arts promoting company Devine Assignments this year rescued the contest by providing funds.